Conrad Schmitt (April 20, 1867 – December 28, 1940) was twelve years old subsequent to his family's church in Fussville, Wisconsin was bejeweled for the first time, in 1879. Watching proficient artists transform the space considering paints and stencils, he realized that this was his calling. At fourteen, he was apprenticed to Professor Louis Loeffler, a church decorator in Milwaukee.
Then his practical, Bavarian-immigrant parents prevailed in their quest to have Conrad attend business theoretical for two years. The period he spent learning the basics of executive a matter turned out to give invaluable knowledge for the founder of an international art studio. Conrad afterward studied under the venerated mural artist, Jan Sukaczynski, and gone master painters in Rome. They included Joseph Wilpert, a fresco painter who was after that an adroit in the ancient artwork of the catacombs. Conrad was a clever artist and a difficult worker. In order to save a conformity to his employer while decorating the Milwaukee courthouse, he later than walked twelve miles from his father's house in a stifling snowstorm.
By the age of twenty, Conrad was already handling large projects for bishops, bankers and elite residential clients. He drew employees from the many skilled, European artists active in the U.S. He after that visited Europe and brought those with good talent to America. Soon CSS had a staff more or less two dozen. A solid concern with proficient artisans, Conrad Schmitt Studios quickly became one of few national companies to conduct large-scale interior decorating and stained glass projects, along similar to Tiffany Studios of New York. The Studio provides artwork for churches, estates, theatres, courthouses, banks and new public buildings throughout the country.