Jacob Adolphus Holzer
Jacob Adolphus Holzer (1858–1938) was a Swiss-born designer, muralist, mosaicist, interior designer, and sculptor who was joined with both John La Farge and Augustus Saint-Gaudens previously he left to deal with the mosaic workshops of Louis Comfort Tiffany, where he was preceded by his buddy from La Farge's studio, the German immigrant Joseph Lauber (1855—1948). Holzer worked later Tiffany until 1898.
Holzer expected the sculptural electrified lantern that became well-known at the World's Columbian Exposition, Chicago 1893, one of two electrified lanterns that have been called the "ancestors" of anything later Tiffany lamps. In New York some of his play a part with Tiffany can be seen in the lobby of The Osborne, 205 West 57th Street, New York City. In Boston, he designed mosaics and three stained-glass windows for the Central Congregational Church, 67 Newbury Street (1893), and perhaps the Frederick Ayer Mansion, Commonwealth Avenue (1899–1901). In Chicago his mosaics are featured in Tiffany's public spaces of Holabird & Roche's Marquette Building, Chicago (1894, building completed 1895). He was the designer of the Tiffany dome at the Chicago Cultural Center, 78 East Washington Street (1897, Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge, architects). At Princeton, his mosaics of subjects from Homer occupy the rear wall of Alexander Hall (William Appleton Potter, architect, 1895, now Richardson auditorium). In Troy, New York, his stained-glass east window and baptistry mosaics can be seen in St Paul's Church, remodeled below Tiffany's direction .
On rejection Tiffany studios, he traveled in the Near East. He provided some of the illustrations for Mary Bowers Warren, Little Journeys Abroad (Boston, 1894).