John La Farge

John La Farge (March 31, 1835 – November 14, 1910) was an American artiste whose career spanned illustration, murals, interior design, painting, and popular books upon his Asian travels and new art-related topics.

La Farge is best known for his production of stained glass, mainly for churches upon the American east coast, beginning afterward a large commission for Henry Hobson Richardson's Trinity Church in Boston in 1878, and continuing for thirty years. La Farge designed stained glass as an artist, as a specialist in color, and as a rarefied innovator, holding a patent settled in 1880 for superimposing panes of glass. That patent would be key in his dispute gone contemporary and opposition Louis Comfort Tiffany.

La Farge rented declare in the Tenth Street Studio Building at its commencement in 1858, and he became a longtime presence in Greenwich Village. In 1863 he was elected into the National Academy of Design; in 1877 he co-founded the Society of American Artists in provocation at the National Academy's conservatism. In 1892 La Farge was brought on as an scholarly with the Metropolitan Museum of Art Schools to allow vocational training to students in New York City. He served as President of the National Society of Mural Painters from 1899 to 1904. In 1904, he was one of the first seven artists agreed for link in the American Academy of Arts and Letters.

La Farge is established in the Episcopal Church, sharing a feast morning of December 16 upon the liturgical calendar, along in imitation of American architects Ralph Adams Cram and Richard Upjohn.

Go up

We use cookies More info