William Aiken Walker
William Aiken Walker (March 11, 1839 – January 3, 1921) was an American player best known for genre paintings of black sharecroppers. He as well as documented the American Civil War get older during his foster in the Confederate Army.
Walker was born to an Irish Protestant daddy and a mom of South Carolina background in Charleston, South Carolina in 1839. In 1841, after his dad died, Walker's intimates remained in Charleston where Walker grew up. (Seibels)
In 1861, during the American Civil War, Walker was conscripted in the Confederate Army and was sent to Morris Island as portion of the Palmetto Guard. Almost immediately, Walker was sent on to Richmond and Camp Davis. Four months later, he conventional a medical release from the army. For the remainder of the fighting he served as a civilian draftsman to the Confederate Engineers Corps and made maps and drawings of Charleston's defenses. (Seibels) He was separated from the military at the end of 1864. After the Civil War, Walker moved to Baltimore, where he produced small paintings of the "Old South" to sell as tourist souvenirs.
In 1868 Walker painted the ruins of the Cathedral of Saint John and Saint Finbar that burned by the side of in December 1861 in a flare that ravaged Charleston, South Carolina.
He is best known for his paintings depicting the lives of poor black emancipated slaves, especially sharecroppers in the post-Reconstruction American South. Two of his paintings were reproduced by Currier and Ives as chromolithographs. Walker continued painting until his death upon January 3, 1921, in Charleston, where he is buried in the family scheme at Magnolia Cemetery.