Constance Coleman Richardson
Constance Coleman Richardson (1905–2002) was an American painter.
Daughter of Christopher B. Coleman, secretary of the Indiana Historical Society and professor of records at Butler College, Richardson was born in Berlin and grew taking place in the Irvington neighborhood of Indianapolis. She graduated from Laurel School in Shaker Heights, Ohio, and attended Vassar College for two years before transferring to the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, where she studied from 1925 until 1928. It was there that she met her superior husband, Edgar Preston Richardson, a student of painting who cutting edge became an art historian.
From 1928 to 1930, Richardson lived in Indianapolis. Constance lived in Detroit from 1931-1962 even though Edgar worked at Detroit Institute of Arts, where he served as assistant director from 1933-1945, and as director from 1945-1962.
Her first landscapes date to the summers the couple spent in Vermont and New York; she superior worked along the Great Lakes since discovering the West, and many of her superior works were painted in Wyoming. She exhibited widely and normal numerous prizes.
Richardson relocated behind her husband to Delaware in 1962 in imitation of he became director of the Winterthur Museum.
In 1985, she was active in Philadelphia. Many of her paintings are concerned gone the effects of light upon the figure and on the landscape. She with painted portraits and genre scenes in adjunct to landscapes; her show has been described as reminiscent of Edward Hopper.
Richardson's 1930 painting Street Light, owned by the Indianapolis Museum of Art, was included in the inaugural exhibition of the National Museum of Women in the Arts, American Women Artists 1830–1930, in 1987. As of February 10, 2017, the Indianapolis Museum of Art owns three works by Richardson. The painting Fourth of July is owned by the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. As of July 20, 2020, the Detroit Institute of Arts owns six of her works. Letters along with Richardson and her husband are currently held by the Archives of American Art.