Conrad Schmitt (April 20, 1867 – December 28, 1940) was twelve years old when his family's church in Fussville, Wisconsin was ornamented for the first time, in 1879. Watching competent artists transform the space like paints and stencils, he realized that this was his calling. At fourteen, he was apprenticed to Professor Louis Loeffler, a church decorator in Milwaukee.
Then his practical, Bavarian-immigrant parents prevailed in their quest to have Conrad attend business college for two years. The become old he spent learning the basics of giving out a matter turned out to find the money for invaluable knowledge for the founder of an international art studio. Conrad next studied below the recognized mural artist, Jan Sukaczynski, and following master painters in Rome. They included Joseph Wilpert, a fresco painter who was then an adroit in the ancient artwork of the catacombs. Conrad was a intelligent artist and a hard worker. In order to save a concurrence to his employer though decorating the Milwaukee courthouse, he afterward walked twelve miles from his father's house in a stuffy snowstorm.
By the age of twenty, Conrad was already handling large projects for bishops, bankers and elite residential clients. He drew employees from the many skilled, European artists successful in the U.S. He also visited Europe and brought those with great talent to America. Soon CSS had a staff in this area two dozen. A solid event with competent artisans, Conrad Schmitt Studios speedily became one of few national companies to conduct large-scale interior decorating and stained glass projects, along taking into consideration Tiffany Studios of New York. The Studio provides artwork for churches, estates, theatres, courthouses, banks and supplementary public buildings throughout the country.